Tuesday 3 November 2015

influences




the main design influences for this project are the works of Russ Mill, Shawn Coss and to a lesser extent I also am influenced by the work of Anja Uhren, whose lecture I was lucky enough to attend, and studio Ghibli's the Tale of Princess Kaguya.

I love how Russ Mills captured emotion in his illustrations, by using the jagged strokes and limited colour palette, it lends a certain instability to the forms of his models. this is one of the techniques i also plan to use.


these are the images I find most stylistically influential, I will be using a similar method to show the emotional turmoil and loss of self the character experiences as time progresses

On the other hand Shawn Cosses series of faceless demonic creatures, whilst again using a limited colour palate, sets a much darker mood with his style. it is this use of form that influences how I will be designing my character. I love how not drawing the face of a character helps to both, project yourself into the art to better sympathise with the character, and how it lends an almost pitiful yet frightening tone to the piece.



Ghibli's the Tale of Princess Kaguya and the animation work of Anja Uhren are more influential in terms of animation technique. they both use water colour in their animation, and while I plan on using both watercolour and ink for mine, to give a tonal contrast, they never the less are extremely helpful in  allowing me to see how a similar medium will look when animated.

 Anja Uhren-




Princess Kaguya-






No comments:

Post a Comment